Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mumbai

This place is twice as dirty, three times as polluted and immeasurably more impoverished than I anticipated. And, my expectations were already pretty low. I am overwhelmed. It's partly the jet lag that has me feeling down, but this is certainly the most difficult experience of my life.

The flights were relatively uneventful. I had to go through special security in Frankfurt due to the Mp3 player Monica bought me. One would think the Krauts had never seen one. They actually ended up doing a chemical test on it before they allowed me to pass. I actually appreciated it because it gave me something to do during my seven hour layover.

My flight to Mumbai was delayed slightly, causing me to arrive at three o'clock in the morning, local time. (By the way, India is 10 1/2 hours ahead of Indiana. The half hour is referred to as Indian "stretch" time.) So, in the middle of the night I arrived in a city more populous than Australia. I had some difficultly getting a hotel, despite using the airport's reservation desk. Everyone is trying to rip me off. I'm white, therefore I'm basically wearing a sign that says I am rich and ignorant. Thankfully, even getting ripped off 25 rupees here and 50 rupees there means I have still wasted less than 2 dollars.

The 45 minute taxi ride to my hotel was... enlightening. Maybe revelatory is the word. I watched from the window with both a broken heart and a sense of morbid fascination. The slums are immense. Beyond immense. They give new meaning to squalor. More yet, beyond the millions living in the Dharavi slums (the largest slums in Asia) there were thousands sleeping homeless on the street. Literally, on the street, because all of the benches and building overhangs were already taken. I found the homeless population when I lived in Washington DC heartbreaking, but this is something altogether different. Imagine driving past women and babies - young children sleeping on the same street as rabid dogs. The sulphurous cloud of pollution hanging everywhere, coupled with the stench of human and animal waste. I am not exaggerating.

I felt guilty, but I couldn't help but hope that my hotel was in some clean, Western quarter of the city. A place with plenty of white people where I might feel safer. Such was not to be. My taxi stopped at the Sea Lord hotel (no sea view). I had intended to stay at the marginally nicer Sea Palace hotel, but there was some confusion at the airport. Still, I have a quasi cleanish room with a working (cold) shower and an inner lock for my door. I'm paying an exhorbitant lodging fee (by Indian standards) of about 1700 rupees a night - about 25 dollars a night.

Well, I hope everyone back home is well. You are all in my thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour, Jacob,
    I'm glad you're there and made it without mishap. Yes, the poverty is pretty intense and I feel sure it will touch you forever. Didn't realize how well-off you were in the good ol' U.S. of A., did you?
    Watch out for pickpockets. Really.
    Please post often. We're all thinking of you. Ray called tonight and chatted with Ed. We're all eager to find news about you, so we're all logging on here and plan to do so with some regularity.
    As one who has traveled and lived alone out of the country, I empathize completely with your realization of how hard it is. Hopefully, you'll soon get ahold of a great routine and find some friends and the loneliness will abate somewhat. We're with you in spirit. Just want you to know that.
    The inauguration went without a hitch. Well, actually, the Chief Justice gave Obama the words in the incorrect order. Obviously, Obama had practiced it because it really threw him. He was visibly nervous. But it was kind of nice to see that he can, at times, be nervous. He's always so cool and collected.
    They walked the parade route, getting in and out of the car twice. This was very cool too. I think the people really enjoyed seeing them.
    I enjoyed inauguration day. But am becoming annoyed that the cameras follow Obama everywhere, as though they're following a Hollywood star. They need to let him do his job AND he needs to do his job AWAY from the cameras. We'll see.
    Well, Jake, hang in there. Post news as regularly as you can. We'll try to keep you up on news.
    Cheerio--Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you get used to it, it won't be so bad. (I know that sounds harsh, because you shouldn't become immune to such suffering, but I think you know what I mean.) When I first arrived in Istanbul it was overwhelming too. But I had help, so I could only imagine your feelings.

    ReplyDelete