Friday, January 30, 2009

Concerning Confidence Men, Gem Scams and Basements


Something has transpired. A very curious something involving exactly the elements described in the title of the post - con men and a gem scam. It feels rather surreal in retrospect, but I will start back at the beginning.

The train ride to Jaipur took 23 hours. Yes, I spent 23 hours being transported across the country much like a chicken is transported to the slaughterhouse. I traveled "sleeper class" with hundreds of Indians and two Israelis from Dubai. The train wasn't pretty. It did not smell like a bed of roses. There were more rats at the train station than I care to remember (a seething, throbbing mass of them). There was no toilet, naturally, just a hole in the floor. Still, the families on the train were, in a word, quaint - eating their samosas, drinking chai, listening to obnoxiously loud music. I'd say I enjoyed the experience. I'll do it again.

I arrived in Jaipur at about 8 in the evening. I caught an auto rickshaw to the Vaishnavi Guest House. I was able to get a better room than I had in Mumbai for less than half the price. Anyhow, the rickshaw driver agreed to meet me the following morning to show me the sights. Which, is exactly how I spent yesterday morning and afternoon. Jaipur is a beautiful city. It's more relaxed and is a welcome break from the chaotic drudgery that characterized Mumbai.

Unfortunately, rather than taking me back to my hotel my rickshaw driver, Khan, insisted on taking me to visit his boss. I acquiesced when he promised a decent meal, but thought it rather peculiar. We arrived at a typical looking, middle class residence. We took off our shoes, and Khan took me down to a sort of half basement. There were a half dozen men lurking about, all very smartly dressed and immensely friendly. More still, there were rows and rows of supposedly precious stones, diamonds, and gold. I was growing very suspicious, but I ate some very enjoyable vegetable thalis with Khan and "the boss" on the floor, in the middle of a beautiful, handmade Indian carpet. After dinner, the sweet talking commenced.

It's hard to describe, but the entire thing felt immensely staged. They flattered me, they lamented about customs duties and taxes, and they told me how much money I could make if I would only transport precious stones for them - to Paris or New York or Antwerp. In the middle of the conversation "the boss" took a call on the speaker phone from the "Venice Exposition." They flattered me some more, told me how honest I looked, told me how I could make 12 thousand dollars "don't you want to make 12 thousand dollars?" the boss asked. I said "not terribly, I just want to live a simple existence as a sadhu." This threw him, but they wouldn't give up, so I promised to go out for drinks with them later in the evening. I had Khan drive me back to my hotel, I paid him for driving me around during the day, and I told him I didn't want to see him again. After he departed I spoke with a couple of the Nepalese porters about it. They admitted that quite a few of the rickshaw drivers are involved in the tourist gem scam business.

I spent the latter half of the evening with a couple guys who work at the hotel across the street, drinking Kingfisher beer on a rooftop under a beautiful crescent moon. I might be going out to the desert with them for a day or two. We're supposed to go to a little town called Bikaner.

I hope everyone back home is doing okay during the snows and power outage.

4 comments:

  1. Yo! So you successfully avoided gem bullying? Well done!

    Apparently the gem-couriering scam is a real classic. I googled "gem scam Jaipur" and got over 36,000 hits- many of the experiences closely mirrored your own (Whitie McWhite tourist meets friendly rickshaw wallah, they go for tea/food, present Whitie with too-good-to-be-true business deal).

    The pitch is extremely convoluted- I had to read four separate accounts before I really got a handle on the logic of the deal. So it usually goes like this: (1) Con-guy explains a specious 'loophole' in the Indian tax system that allows tourists to carry or mail home up to 12,000 dollars worth of gems tax free, whereas business owners and regular Indians are ostensibly required to pay a punitive 250% tax on such items; (2) Con-guy informs you that for your efforts- taking the gems and delivering them to an Indian gem dealer in London, Paris, Tel Aviv, wherever- you will receive 100% of the value of the gems you carried, and that they will save the other 150% tax. Nice and neat, right? Why not? Why would you, Jacob, not want to make $12,000?

    It sounds like bogus foolery right off the bat, as you readily figured out, but the trick has convinced some unsuspecting doofuses (I think the plural of doofus should be doofi, like a good second declension Latin noun). Anyway, they're banking on the 'everyone wins' concept (except the exploitative Indian government, which can't collect its tax).

    I'm a little perplexed as to WHY swindlers would go this far to pitch overtly shady deals. Ripping tourists off in more legitimate ways is laughably easy, as demonstrated to me by many a Middle Eastern bazaar chap. This seems like entirely too much work.

    An easier scam is the much-beloved 'cabbie hotel' trick, in which a cabbie will stubbornly insist that whatever hotel you've chosen is closed, disgustingly rat-ridden, or booked to the nines. He'll then generously offer a better option, taking you instead to a pricier hotel that gives him a commission. Having a cell phone and a couple useful numbers (your hotel, a back-up cab company, etc.) can be helpful in those scenarios (eg: call hotel and prove to him that you're correct, call another cab if he's still being difficult, etc.).

    I'm parousing some write-ups on Bikaner, and the pictures look fascinating. Lots of forts, palaces, and austere destert landscapes. It's about 175 miles outside Jaipur- if you end up staying with these guys' friends/family, be careful. Traveling to secluded places without a cell phone... okay, I'll stop. You know what you're doing;)

    So yesterday shaped up pretty well- aside from the news on Turkey, I ended up getting my power back and confirming two new Arabic tutees. I maxed out my space heater and made sure to use every appliance in my house at least once before falling asleep. After four days without power, just flipping on the coffee maker felt AMAZING. Woah- infrastructure.

    This is getting out of control, so I'll continue my blatherings in a facebook message. Have fun in the desert! It's a shame you're missing the Bikaner Camel Festival- read up on that if you get the chance! Interesting stuff. I've promised to take myself to the Camel Wrestling Championship in Selcuk, Turkey- how groove-tacular would that be? It's an annual deal, happens in late January. Haven't been in Turkey at quite the right time yet- is there any wrestling at the Bikaner Camel Festival? I know they shave the camel hair in really intricate, far-out patterns...



    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same thing happened to me in Istanbul...they were like "do you know how many carpets you could sell" etc...it was lots of chai and a meal...and they're really hard to get rid of...

    anyway, I'm glad you made it out of the basement. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour, Jacob. I hope you are safe, and I, too, am glad you made it out of the basement. Your mother is concerned, to say the least, and we're all wondering why one EARTH you'd go anywhere with such characters!!! I am less convinced than Monica that you "know what you're doing."

    BE CAREFUL ! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  4. A week between postings? You must have more to share!

    ReplyDelete