Thursday, February 12, 2009

India is for Lovers


I've observed a few things about tourists in India. First, they do not leave the beaten path. In every city I visit I intentionally wander at least a short distance outside the Lonely Planet's map. Every single time I have done this, the tourists have disappeared. It's like magic - poof! everyone is suddenly brown. In fact, this is one of many reasons why I think a good traveler ought not use Lonely Planet like a bible. One has to be at least a little contrarian to obtain a more authentic taste of the culture.

My second observation is that India is for lovers. This place is full of couples. There are two primary groups - older, retired couples and young, recently wed couples. I've been speculating as to what, if anything, this means. Do thirty somethings and forty somethings lack the time? Do they lack the desire? Is it the children and the career? It must be the kids. Also, spotting a lone backpacker is about as likely as seeing a woolly rhinoceros. I suspect most people have (good) reasons for not wanting to travel India alone.

One final thing I've noticed about tourists is that they seem to be acting out a fantasy. The older, white men all wear travel vests with lots of pockets. They frequently have on a white, safari hat, and they are usually sporting sandals. The young couples usually wear hippie backpacker attire - loose, color faded shirts and capri-like pants. Once adorned, these travelers run from one location to another, snapping pictures. Most of them are not so much enjoying their time or observing their surroundings. Primarily, they seem to be documenting and constructing narratives. "I was here, I saw this, here is my photo evidence." The journey is valued as a story to recapitulate - not as an experience to be enjoyed. What do you think?

I posted some more photos to Facebook. The photo at top is a view of Jodhpur. Currently, I'm in Udaipur, but I will be leaving for Ahmedabad in the morning. After that I might visit the Ellora cave temples, or I might go straight to Goa. Unfortunately, it's likely I'll have to spend at least one day in Mumbai in transit... all roads lead to Rome.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone has different goals in traveling...some might not have the same luxuries as you as not having a return flight...and since there is so much to see, they run.

    Sounds like things are getting better! But still be safe...and don't get comfortable, that's when bad things will happen! ;-)

    ReplyDelete